Universal Access To All Knowledge
Home Donate | Store | Blog | FAQ | Jobs | Volunteer Positions | Contact | Bios | Forums | Projects | Terms, Privacy, & Copyright
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload

Reply to this post | See parent post | Go Back
View Post [edit]

Poster: k-otic Date: Mar 19, 2008 7:32am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: Still uncertain about copyright

Ahh i couldn`t said it better drworm01 .. It looks like Mills Creek hase an pretty relaxed way of putting their movie boxes together.
On the other hand it says nowhere on the Mils Creek site that those movies they sell are in the public domain!
but if you look at their online catalog you can see that aprox 98% of the movies are .. and even the other 2% of them could be.
Unfortunatelly your movie seem to belong to the 2% of movies that are in question

Reply to this post
Reply [edit]

Poster: bobcdy Date: Mar 20, 2008 12:01pm
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: Still uncertain about copyright

Thanks to both of you for the insights. I uploaded "The Shadow Strikes" because I wasn't sure it was NOT PD even after extensive checking. Anyway if it not PD, I hope the fact will be brought the archive.org's attention for removal. I have many old movies either purchased recently in DVD multi-packages or many years ago as individual VHS tapes but the lack of clarity about copyrights makes me hesitate to upload any more.

It seems that you might fairly easily often determine that a movie is not PD because of numerous copyrighted internet listings, but it is very difficult to be certain it is PD if not listed anywhere as copyrighted because there are no comprehensive listings of PD movies.

About my earlier post discussing 'Topper' and 'Topper Returns': further searching showed that both are copyrighted (from the gov site) even though the latter movie is included in the 50 Megapack collection (Mill Creek) I had referred to. In that post I had assumed that probably 'Topper Returns' was not copyrighted because it was in the collection and 'Topper' was not PD because it logically should have been included in the collection.